Health information management occupations
More about this career
- Classify and code diseases according to an established classification system
- Collect, code, cross-reference and store health records and related information
- Abstract, assemble and analyze clinical data and related demographic information from health records according to established policies and procedures
- Operate information systems to maintain indexes for classification systems and to manage and retrieve health records information
- Prepare medical, social and administrative statistics
- Use and maintain software or information technology systems
- May implement and update health information systems and also provide support and training
- May supervise other health information management technicians and related workers
- Health information management technicians and related workers require completion of a recognized two-year college diploma program in health record technology or health information management.
- Health information management technicians and related workers are eligible to write the Canadian Health Information Management Association national certification examination which may be required by employers.
- Health information management supervisor
- Health information management technician
- Health records technician
- Medical records unit supervisor