More about this career
- Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the activities and operations of an engineering department, service or firm
- Develop and implement policies, standards and procedures for the engineering and technical work performed in the department, service, laboratory or firm
- Consult and negotiate with clients to prepare specifications, explain proposals and present engineering reports and findings
- Assign, co-ordinate and review the technical work of the department or project teams
- Recruit personnel and oversee development and maintenance of staff competence in required areas
- May participate directly in the design, development and inspection of technical projects or in the engineering work of the department
- A bachelor's degree in engineering is usually required.
- Extensive experience in an engineering discipline, including supervisory experience, is required.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer (P. Eng.) by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is usually required.
- Director of engineering research and development
- Electrical engineering manager
- Engineering department manager
- Engineering manager
- Production engineering manager
- Telecommunications engineering service manager