Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers)
More about this career
Computer and telecommunications hardware engineers
- Analyze user requirements, and design and develop system architecture and specifications
- Research, design, develop and integrate computer and telecommunications hardware such as microprocessors, integrated circuit boards and semiconductor lasers
- Develop and conduct design verification simulations and prototype bench tests of components
- Supervise, inspect and provide design support during the manufacturing, installation and implementation of computer and telecommunications hardware
- Establish and maintain relationships with suppliers and clients
- May lead and coordinate teams of engineers, technologists, technicians and drafters in the design and development of computer and telecommunications hardware
Network system and data communication engineers
- Research, design and develop information and communication system network architecture
- Research, evaluate and integrate network system and data communication hardware and software
- Assess, document and optimize the capacity and performance of information and communication system networks
- May lead and coordinate teams of design professionals in the development and integration of information and communication system architecture, hardware and software
- Computer engineers require a bachelor's degree in computer engineering, electrical or electronics engineering, engineering physics or computer science.
- A master's or doctoral degree in a related engineering discipline may be required.
- Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required to approve engineering drawings and reports and to practise as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.).
- Engineers are eligible for registration following graduation from an accredited educational program, three or four years of supervised work experience in engineering and passing a professional practice examination.
- Computer hardware engineer
- Fibre-optic network designer
- Hardware circuit board designer
- Hardware development engineer
- Hardware technical architect
- Network infrastructure engineer
- Network support engineer
- Network test engineer
- Systems designer - hardware
- Telecommunications hardware engineer
- Wireless communications network engineer